There is no law saying that you have to go on a diet when January rolls around. I promise I’m not going to be someone who tells you that you need to eat nothing but kale and celery for the next 100 days.
That said, it may be time to rest your overworked digestive system this week. After all the extra cookies, cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres of the holidays, this soup is just the thing to restore balance to your body and soul.
Do you notice that you instinctively seek balance after you’ve overindulged? This soup is one great way to achieve the balance you’re looking for with lots of good-for-you green things and fresh seasonings simmered together on the stove. Take this chance to nourish yourself. You’ll be so glad you did.
Green “Detox” Soup
adapted from The Gluten-Free Goddess
makes 4 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons diced onion
1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 bunch of broccoli, cut up
8 oz. fresh spinach leaves
3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
2 ribs of celery, sliced
1 handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
salt and pepper to taste
fresh lemon or lime juice, optional
1. In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in garlic, onion, and ginger. Saute, stirring for 3 minutes.
2. Add broccoli, spinach, parsnips, celery, and parsley. Stir just until spinach wilts. Add just enough water to submerge vegetables.
3. Bring to a gentle boil, cover pot and reduce heat to a moderate simmer. Cook for approximately 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft.
4. Puree in a blender or by using an immersion blender.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice if you prefer a brighter flavor.