Here’s an easy-peasy one for all you time-starved-back-to-school-prepping mamas. Throw this little combo over some brown rice or whole grain pasta and you have yourself a meal. Really pinched for time? Skip the pounding and the flour and just sauté the chicken “au natural” in the olive oil before you add the broth. Don’t skip the lemon and parsley though – you’d miss ’em.
Lemon Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes
1 pound chicken cutlets (or whole breasts cut in half horizontally) , pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1/4 cup flour
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
juice from 1 lemon
zest from 1 lemon
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Season the chicken lightly with salt and pepper on both sides. Dredge in the flour and shake off any excess.
2. In a large heavy bottom pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the cutlets for a couple of minutes on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan. Add some additional oil and work in batches if necessary. Transfer chicken to a plate.
3. Add the broth to the pan and deglaze, scraping all the brown bits from the pan. Allow the sauce to reduce for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the chicken and tomatoes to the pan. Simmer until the tomatoes release their juices and the sauce has reduced, about 20 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and zest. Adjust seasoning and sprinkle with parsley to serve.