This morning, in my monthly segment as the Healthy Living Expert on Fox 19, I shared five ideas for New Year’s Resolutions you can complete in 10 minutes or less! Often people want to be healthy but take on too much and ultimately give up before they see lasting results.
Instead of thinking in terms of all or nothing, try a “10 minute resolution” this year. With no excuses, you can get some points on the board early and then build upon your success for more significant results throughout the year.
Here’s the clip to the segment. Remember, any of these can be done in 10 minutes or less!
1) Eat a quick breakfast – LESS than 10 minutes for many ideas – whole grain waffles or toast with peanut butter and a banana, cereal with milk and fruit, a yogurt parfait, or an energy bar and an apple
2) Get moving in the morning – even before you shower – yoga sun salutations, walking, running, weights
3) Add sleep….add 10 more minutes every few nights until you actually wake up feeling rested.
4) Take a lunch break to actually EAT – skip the multitasking and just enjoy your food – studies show that you will eat less if you do nothing else while eating because you’ll tune in to fullness cues from your body
5) Carve out a technology-free time to journal, breathe, read something inspiring, or just check in with yourself – try a simple breathing exercise like Dr Weil’s 4-7-8 technique which Dr. Stefanie Stevenson shared in the November issue of the Nourish e-newsletter.
BONUS: More Healthy 10 Minute Breakfast Ideas
Choose one of the following and pair with a piece of fruit – apple, banana, orange, grapes, etc:
- Egg sandwich – one egg and one slice of cheese on a High Fiber English Muffin
- High Quality Energy bar
- High Fiber Toast with Cottage Cheese or Greek Yogurt
- High Fiber Cold Cereal with Milk
- Quick Cook Oatmeal with almond or coconut milk, berries, and nuts
- Waffle Sandwich – 2 whole wheat frozen waffles with peanut butter or almond butter
- Yogurt Parfait – Greek yogurt, berries, Kashi Heart to Heart cereal